- Solon High School
Solon High School Update for After Winter Break
December 18, 2020
Dear Solon High School Parents and Students,
As you know, we will continue to be ALL VIRTUAL the week of January 4 and plan to return to our HYBRID model on January 11. This means we will continue to follow our All-Remote Bell Schedule (listed at the end of this email). Please read this email carefully, as it details material, textbook, supplemental reading and ACT Boot Camp pick-up information for 3rd quarter.
Students who CHOSE to be ALL REMOTE the entire 2nd semester:
- You will need to come to the Senior Commons on Monday, January 4, or Tuesday, January 5, to gather materials, textbooks and pre-ordered supplemental reading books from Academic Boosters for 3rd quarter for the classes listed below. Pick-up will be from 3-6 p.m. in the Senior Commons BOTH days. (If you qualify for the Free and Reduced Lunch Program, you must pick-up your supplemental reading book during this time.)
- All Remote students who signed up for the ACT Boot Camp on January 16 will also pick-up their ACT Boot Camp Workbook during this time.
Students who will be IN-PERSON HYBRID for 2nd semester beginning January 11:
- If you pre-ordered supplemental reading books from Academic Boosters for 3rd quarter you will need to come to the Senior Commons on Monday, January 4, or Tuesday, January 5, to pick-up your books. Pick-up will be from 3-6 p.m. in the Senior Commons BOTH days.(If you qualify for the Free and Reduced Lunch Program, you must pick-up your supplemental reading book during this time.)
- In-Person Hybrid students who signed up for the ACT Boot Camp on January 16 will also pick-up their ACT Boot Camp Workbook during this time.
- You will NOT be coming to pick-up class materials or textbooks on January 4 or 5. Teachers will make sure these students have access to the necessary materials for the week of January 4 on Google Classroom.
Finally, ALL students need to check their teachers’ websites for the Zoom classroom codes that will be used to begin our ALL REMOTE instruction for ALL students on January 4.
Material Pick-Up Information – ONLY for All Remote Students:
English 11 Honors
Economics – Mrs. Lane ONLY
AP Government – Mrs. Lane ONLY
AP US History
Algebra 1A – Mr. Havens ONLY
Geometry – Mr. Kleinhenz, Ms. Moeschberger ONLY
Integrated Math III
Honors Algebra II
Chinese II, III, IV
FAMILY CONSUMER SCIENCE:
Creative Cuisine 1
Creative Cuisine 2
TECHNOLOGY AND ENGINEERING:
Supplemental Reading Book Pick-Up Information – for those students (both All Remote and Hybrid who pre-ordered):
All Virtual students who pre-ordered Supplemental Reading Books through Academic Boosters must pick-up their books for the following classes:
English 9 Honors
English 10 Honors
English 11 Honors
AP European History
Textbook Pick-Up Information – ONLY for All Remote Students:
All Virtual Students for 2nd semester must pick up new Math Textbooks (in addition to the materials listed above) for the following classes where teacher is listed in RED. Please note, if your teacher is listed as optional, you are not required to pick-up a new textbook, it is based on student preference:
Algebra I - Mrs. Csarny REQUIRED; Ms. Moeschberger, Ms. Sommerville, Mr. Wentz OPTIONAL
Geometry – Mr. Kopkas, Mr. Kleinhenz, Ms. Moeschberger REQUIRED; Mr. Carnes and Mrs. Miller OPTIONAL
Honors Geometry - OPTIONAL
Algebra II - Mr. Kopkas REQUIRED; Mr. Dingman, Mrs. Miller, Ms. Moeschberger OPTIONAL
Honors Algebra II – ALL REQUIRED
Pre-Calculus - OPTIONAL
Integrated Math III – ALL REQUIRED
Calculus III – ALL REQUIRED
App Development - ALL REQUIRED
All Remote Bell Schedule for Week of January 4:
Zero Period - 7:00 – 7:40
Period 1 - 8:00 – 8:40
Period 2 - 8:55 – 9:35
Period 3 - 9:50 – 10:30
Period 4 - 10:45 – 11:25
LUNCH BREAK - 11:25 – 12:05
Period 5 - 12:05 – 12:45
Period 6 - 1:00 – 1:40
Period 7 - 1:55 – 2:35
Who would have thought, a year ago, that 2020 would have given us the ride it has? Like all of you, I sure am happy to put the past few months in the rearview mirror. Humor me if you will and take a moment to think about the size of the rearview mirror in your car…it is actually quite small. And the further we drive, the smaller the road behind us – for 2020 that means the fear, the uncertainty, the chaos, the sadness, all of it - gets.
Now think about the size of your windshield – vast, open, clear…just like my hope for 2021 for each of you. We will never know the why of the pandemic. Each of us, in some way, has been affected by the devastation, the loss, the illness. Yet we must remember that view out the windshield – the opportunities that lie in front of us - are full of promise, hope, and light!
May all of you take time to reflect on the silver linings of the past 10 months – the joy we found in the simple things in life, the opportunity we had to actually press pause, and the stark reminder of what really matters most – our health and our loved ones. But also take time to look forward, to plan, to get excited for new beginnings.
Cheers to 2021 and each of YOU! Happy Holidays!
Erin Short, Solon High School Principal