- Solon City School District
Food & Nutrition Services Updates
Dear Solon Schools Families,
As we transition to blended learning with some students on campus and others continuing virtually at home, we want to share information about the changes in the school lunch program for all students.
Our menu has been redesigned to ensure students receive a nutritionally balanced meal every day, successfully serving the needs of our students wherever they have lunch—in the cafeteria, the classroom or at home.
Please be sure to read through the following for details about purchasing lunches, signing up for home delivery on virtual days and completing the 2020-21 federal Free & Reduced Lunch Application, especially if your family circumstances have changed.
- Solon High School: Beginning October 19, lunches will be served from kiosks stationed throughout the building. To receive a meal from the Solon High School cafeteria, please complete a meal request form by 8 a.m. every day your child wishes to buy lunch. ACCESS THE FORM HERE.
- All other schools will take lunch counts during first period or at the beginning of the day. No order form is necessary. Lunches will be delivered to classrooms and served in the cafeteria per your school’s specific lunch plan.
- Allergen Free Meals: Allergen-free meals (free from the major eight allergens) are available upon request at the checkout. If your child has an allergen on file with the district, they will automatically receive the allergen free meal. If you wish to change your child’s allergen needs, please contact Lynne Hutchison, MS, RDN, LD, at (440) 349-7703 or LynneHutchison@solonboe.org.
- All Schools: The School Lunch Home Delivery Program has been extended through the end of the semester and will continue to serve those learning from home.
- If you had been receiving home delivered meals during the full-remote period and wish to continue for the remainder of the semester, you do not need to do anything. Your delivery will continue.
- If you had been receiving home delivered meals and wish to discontinue deliveries or change your delivery address, please complete the form found HERE.
- If you previously did not receive home delivered meals, but wish to start, please complete the form found HERE.
All lunches include foods from the major food groups—protein, grains, vegetables, fruits, and dairy—and are carefully planned to meet or exceed federally mandated guidelines by:
- Emphasizing whole grain-rich foods
- Offering at least 1/2 cup of fruits and vegetables every day
- Focusing on lean protein options to support growth and development
- Providing choices for low-fat flavored and unflavored milk
- Limiting the number of desserts offered to allow for an emphasis on nutrient-rich foods
- Minimizing sodium, while maximizing flavor
To further support our commitment to you, we promise to:
- Provide a wide variety of fresh, nutritious foods that are enticing for all ages.
- Feed ALL our students through flexible dining options, such as classroom delivery, centralized kiosks for quick Grab & Go meals, and home delivery for virtual learners.
- Uphold food safety and sanitation standards recommended by the Cuyahoga County Board of Health, the Ohio Department of Education, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the U.S. Department of Agriculture.
We appreciate your support and thank you for purchasing your child's meal through the Solon City Schools' Food & Nutrition Services Department!
You May Qualify for Free & Reduced Lunches
If your family circumstances have changed recently, please consider filling out a Free & Reduced Lunch application. This application can be completed at any time.
To access the online application: https://sdms.solonschools.org/sdms2/
Step-by-step instructions are available at: https://www.solonschools.org/cms/lib/OH01814653/Centricity/Domain/481/QuikApps_Parent_Experience_User_Guide_2019-20.pdf
Pandemic Electronic Benefits Transfer Program
The program is administered by the Ohio Department of Jobs and Family Services and provides additional monetary assistance to households with children who are eligible for free or reduced-priced meals. For more information, consult ODJFS web page at https://jfs.ohio.gov/ofam/p-ebt.stm
Lunch Prices for the 2020-21 School Year
Until further notice, students' lunch accounts will not be charged for ordered lunches due to temporary funding assistance through the USDA under the CARES Act for pandemic relief. This is available for all students until the funding is depleted.
Grades K-6: $3.40
Grades 7-12: $3.65