Phone: (440) 349-7757 x5513
Degrees and Certifications:
B.S., Secondary English Education: Slippery Rock University (summa cum laude) Minor, Communications: Slippery Rock University M. Ed., Reading Specialist: Kent State University
Mrs. Valerie Parillo
Welcome to Solon Middle School. You are contributing the to the legacy of 7 East!
Daily, students should bring their independent reading book, a pencil, and CHARGED Chromebook to class.
On the first day of school, each of my students should also bring to my class...
- sharpened pencilsssssss (this avoids long lines at the pencil sharpener!)
- A school-only set of headphones (can also be used for other classes; doesn't have to stay in the room but should stay in the locker after school)
- Multiple colored pens (neon is not recommended)
- Mutiple colored highlighters
- A library card with the pin memorized (does not have to belong to the student, but it is strongly encouraged that students have their own library card)
- A zipper binder/trapper keeper like this one (my recommendation) or like this or this. *any color is acceptable!*
Over the summer, students are expected to read a grade-appropriate fiction book and nonfiction book. We will be discussing these books in the first week of school. Start strong!
Check out Common Sense Media to ensure that a book is appropriate for your child ahead of time. The site also includes book recommendations -- double bonus!
I regularly check my e-mail over the summer (email@example.com), so if you have any questions or concerns, please e-mail me with the subject line "SMS language arts" & I'll do my best to answer your question.
Peruse my 1st day of school presentation
Here is the letter that I sent home in the first days of school. You can find it Here
"Your job is to find what the world is trying to be." -- William Stafford, poet