Welcome to 6th Grade Band
- Why play in band? Because it is fun! It enhances team building skills, creates a sense of community, develops motor skills and muscle memory. Overall it's about the experience of making music with other people and the joy it brings society
- Who will teach? Specials: Mrs. Quimby assisted by music tutor Mr. Wohlschlager, Activity Period: Mrs. Quimby assisted by Ms. DeLine
- Where do Specials lessons and full band meet? Specials will meet in Mrs. Quimby's room 214. There will be opportunities for pull out sectionals and additional help with the music tutor Mr. Wohlschlager. Full band will meet in the band room M,T,W,F and in the trailers room 213,214 on Thursdays.
- When and where are the 6th grade band concerts? Monday, November 11, 2019 at 7pm in the Orchard Gym, Wednesday, January 22, at 7pm in SHS Auditorium and Tuesday, June 2, at 7pm on the Orchard playground.
- What will we be learning? Students will finish learning concepts in the red book during first semester and perform up to exercise #68 in the blue book second semester. Concepts will be taught in Specials classes and reinforced during Activity Period along with sheet music for performances. Students will also be practicing rhythm reading and counting in the Scale and Rhythm Chunks book. Grades will be determined by how many exercises are completed during each semester.
- Be a positive and integral part of the ensemble.
- Put forth best effort and focus during instructional time.
- Practice the concepts learned at home and during structured practice time in class. Building muscle memory is a key factor in steady progress.
- Be willing to help other band members, or have the patience to move at the pace of the group. (there will be times that you need extra help and times when a concept comes easy, everyone plays an important role in the ensemble)
- Challenge yourself often and keep your best foot forward! You’re better than you were yesterday because you’re always making progress, even if you don’t see instant results!
Please direct any questions to Mrs. Quimby: email@example.com