College Essay Advising
Solon High School’s college essay advisors Mrs. Hollace Schmidt and Ms. Susan Elliott Blashka are available from August 31 to October 30 to help you with your main college essays, as well as supplemental and scholarship essays.
Meet with us early in your process to:
- brainstorm a great topic (you don’t need to have an essay already written!)
- map out the structure of your essay
- create an engaging opening
- reflect on what you want colleges to learn about you
- craft a strong ending
- make your essay free of errors in grammar and punctuation
Know the rules:
- You cannot miss class to meet with us, so only schedule appointments during your free periods.
- Sign up for no more than one appointment per week and no more than three total.
If you need more appointments after your third visit, we’ll give you permission then.
You may also book any appointments that are open that same day. For example, if it’s September 2, and you see an open appointment on September 2, you can claim it. These appointments do not count toward your one-per-week or three-total limit.
- If you cannot attend your appointment, you must delete your sign-up or send an email to let the advisors know 24 hours in advance so that someone else can use the spot. One no-show results in a warning. Anyone who is a no-show for two appointments loses the privilege of using the essay advising service.
- Most appointments are live meetings via Zoom. You will receive the Zoom link the morning of your appointment.
- We are also offering a limited number of Google Doc review sessions for students who have drafts of their essays but do not have an open time to meet via Zoom and would like written feedback from Mrs. Schmidt or Ms. Blashka.
- No matter which type of appointment you sign up for, if you have written a draft of your essay or a document with any notes, share it via Google Docs the day before your appointment with the instructor who you’ll be meeting with.**
**Ms. Blashka at email@example.com
**Mrs. Schmidt at firstname.lastname@example.org
How to sign up:
- Access the sign-up sheets through the links below.
- After following the link to the site, register for a SignUp Genius account.
- If you can’t find an open appointment that fits your schedule, email us, and we’ll do everything we can to make it work!
College Essay Advising Documents