Sweet Potato Pie Bites
3 large sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced into 1/2 inch slices
8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
1 cup pecans, finely chopped
½ cup light brown sugar, divided
¼ cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon, divided
4 tablespoons maple syrup
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract, divided
1 tablespoon egg whites
¼ teaspoon water
To make spiced nuts:
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Mix ¼ cup sugar, ¼ cup brown sugar and 1 ½ teaspoons cinnamon in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Combine egg whites and ½ teaspoon vanilla in a larger bowl. Whisk until frothy. Add pecans. Stir until coated.
- Add sugar mixture. Stir until coated.
- Spread evenly on parchment lined baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes (coating will harden on pecans). Stir and return to oven for another 15 minutes.
To make potatoes:
- Increase oven temperature to 400 degrees. Place potatoes in a large bowl or bag and coat with 2 tablespoons maple syrup.
- Arrange slices in a single layer on parchment lined baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and brush tops and bottoms with additional 2 tablespoons maple syrup.
- Return to oven and bake additional 15 minutes.
To make cream cheese dollop:
- Beat cream cheese until smooth.
- Add 1/4 cup brown sugar, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla. Beat until combined.
- Spoon (or squirt using decorative pastry tip) cream cheese onto center of cooled potato slices.
- Stir 1 teaspoon maple syrup into 1 cup of the candied pecans. Sprinkle on slices and enjoy!
Black Tea Cherry Popsicles
3 bags decaffeinated black tea
1 cup hot water
3 tablespoons honey
3 cups dark sweet cherries, pitted (fresh or frozen)
Steep tea in hot water for 5-10 minutes, remove tea bags. Combine tea, honey and 2 cups cherries in blender and blend until smooth. Pulse in remaining cherries until desired texture. Pour into molds or Dixie cups and freeze.
Enjoy your refreshing, antioxidant-packed treat
It’s All-Star night in the CLE!
Try these fresh & fun snacks from the Solon Schools Food & Nutrition Services Department for your game-time snacks! Enjoy!
Homerun Fireworks Kebobs
1 block of feta cheese, cut into 1/2-inch cubes OR 1 container of small, mozzarella balls, drained
1 small watermelon, cut into 1-inch cubes
1 pint blueberries or blackberries
1 sprig of fresh mint leaves
Cut cheese and watermelon into bite-sized pieces. Wash and dry berries and mint. Tear mint into ½-inch pieces. Assemble kebobs, layering from the bottom up—watermelon, cheese, berry, and mint.
Red, White & Blue Ballpark Bites
1 pint strawberries
1 pint blueberries
½ pint whipping cream
3 tablespoons confectioner’s sugar
¼ teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
Wash and dry berries. Slice strawberries in half length-wise and arrange on plate. Combine whipping cream, confectioner’s sugar, cinnamon, and vanilla extract in a medium bowl. Using an electric mixer or whisk, beat until soft peaks form. Using a pastry bag or spoon, place a dollop of whipped cream on each strawberry and top with three blueberries.